Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at DSI Renal
1253 - Ko Olau
SUMMARY: This position is responsible for maintaining and repairing all dialysis machines, water treatment and ancillary medical equipment in the facilities to which the technician is assigned. Provides support for clinical and biomedical staff in the form of technical care functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties and responsibilities generally reflect the expectations of this position but are not intended to be all inclusive. Other duties may be assigned.
Equipment Maintenance, Repair, Upgrades and Operation
- Repair and maintain, with support documentation, dialysis systems, R.O. water systems and ancillary medical equipment as recommended by the equipment manufacturer’s specifications and/or company policies and procedures, as applicable. Responsible for routine and emergency equipment repair and records maintenance on all hemodialysis related equipment
- Performs safety checks, determines % rejection and sends water analysis on RO water treatment systems
- Implements all operational procedures for all hemodialysis equipment, including all disinfection procedures
- Assist clinical personnel in troubleshooting equipment related problems
- Perform electrical safety assurance and performance testing on all dialysis machines and related electrical equipment as required by equipment manufacturers and/or company policies and procedures, as applicable
- Reviews daily water checks on R.O. system and log sheet for completeness and accuracy, noting any deviations from normal
- Upgrade R.O. water treatment systems to company standards as needed, under the direction of the Area Technical Manager (ATM)
- Disinfects water treatment systems and cultures each system to ensure proper standard is met.
- Trained in the preparation of “dry acid” and “bicarbonate” dialysates
- Repair all equipment with proper parts, while conserving cost in equipment
- Is able to respond quickly and efficiently to any situation that occurs (i.e. leading plumbing, light bulb changes, overflowing sink, etc.) as requested
- Follow up and resolve abnormal culture results with the ATM and Clinic Manager
Quality, Compliance and Risk Accountability
- Perform monthly biomedical audit and document finding to ensure that dialysis employees are following company policies and procedures
- Upon request, assist the Clinic Manager in performing building safety inspections to help assure compliance with applicable federal, state, local laws and regulations
- Participate in on-site ESRD surveys and inspections by state and federal surveyors, when notified
- Participate as requested, as a member of each facility’s QAPI meetings, in person, by phone or through substitution by another qualified biomedical technician
· Order and maintain an appropriate part inventory for all equipment serviced
· Discuss equipment maintenance problems with the ATM and Clinic Manager; make cost effective recommendations for improvement; monitor and control expenses for dialysis equipment in accordance with budgetary expectations
- Proactively review and report inventories and supply shortages to Clinic Manager
- Know and comply with policies and procedures in accordance with state and federal regulations for patient care and services (CMS, HIPAA, OSHA, or other governing agencies)
- Participate in quality improvement programs as requested
- Complete annual skills competency checklist as required
- Maintain current knowledge of company policies and procedures including changes in operating dialysis, water treatment and ancillary medical equipment; teach to other clinical and biomedical employees as necessary
- Provide training to clinical employees on taking of water cultures to ensure water quality meets Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI) microbiological standards
- Assist the Clinic Managers in providing instruction to clinical employees on the proper operation and utilization of dialysis equipment and systems, focusing on equipment start-up, shut-down and emergency situations
- Perform ongoing training to clinical employees on the water system including guidelines on the emergency procedures in the event of water system failure
Other duties as assigned
- Provide on-call coverage on nights and weekends as assigned
- Work in multiple facilities and travel to cover multiple facilities or to attend meetings as needed
- Responsible for inventory in the clinic, including, but not limited to physical counts, tracking and entering usage, receiving and stocking. Note: This duty assignment may vary by clinic/market.
- Implement changes in company policies, procedures, vendors and products as directed by ATM
- On request, assist the Clinic Manager in evaluating the need for facility repairs and maintenance to be performed by a qualified resource
- Know facility emergency plans and act appropriately in an emergency
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Work overtime with little or no notice as needed
- Attend staff meetings, phone conferences, educational activities and training as needed
- Read, know, understand, and follow employee guidelines, employment policies, and department or company procedures
- Consistent, regular, punctual attendance as scheduled is an essential responsibility of this position
- Assist in orientation of new staff members as directed and under supervision of the ATM and/or Clinic Manager
- Identify confidential information and maintain strict confidentiality of information
- Ability to lift minimum of 35 lbs. to a maximum of 50 lbs. unassisted and able to perform repetitive standing, sitting, stooping, walking, stretching, reaching and use full range of body motions. Hearing must be adequate to perform duties and interact in person clearly and efficiently. Manual dexterity as required for specific equipment maintenance. Ability to hear and interact by phone and in person clearly and efficiently. Ability to use computer and all peripherals as needed to meet goals.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIESThis position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
· High school diploma or equivalent required; Associate Degree in Electronics preferred
· Basic computer skills and proficiency required in MS Outlook; proficiency in all required computer systems of the company within 90 days of hire.
· Must complete Water Treatment System training program prior to completing water treatment system tasks independently
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
· Must meet all applicable state requirements for education, training and competency in the state in which they
are employed, if applicable
· Valid driver’s license in state of employment; driving record must meet insurance liability requirements if operating a company vehicle
· Must carry personal car insurance with a minimum combined single limit of $100,000 per accident or per state of employment’s requirement
ESSENTIAL BEHAVIOR, SKILLS, ATTITUDE
· Commitment to company values and mission with ability to demonstrate those positively and proactively to patients, fellow employees, management, physicians and/or vendors in everyday performance and interactions
· Ability to clearly identify and report technical issues to ATM and Clinic Manager
· Demonstrated ability to maintain absolute confidentiality concerning patient information
· Self-directed; able to function independently and as a team member and to foster a positive work environment
· Empathy, consideration and respect for patients and fellow employees
· Fluent in the written and verbal skills necessary to successfully perform the essential functions, duties and responsibilities of the position.
· Ability to read, speak and write English with clarity of expression sufficient to communicate technical and complex concepts to employees with varying levels of familiarity and skill with equipment, in clear and easily understood terms
Proficiency in application of mathematical skills to include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, use of whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to apply understanding & logic to defined situations in the department; establish facts to arrive at valid conclusions; to interpret instructions and give consideration to abstract and concrete variables within a given situation.
Vision adequate to perform essential duties and responsibilities of position.
Ability to pass color-vision test
The physical requirements can vary. In general, the position requires the following activities:
· Ability to lift minimum of 35 lbs. to a maximum of 50 lbs. unassisted
· Able to perform repetitive standing, sitting, stooping, walking, stretching, reaching and use full range of body motions.
· Hearing must be adequate to perform duties and interact in person clearly and efficiently
· Manual dexterity as required for specific equipment maintenance
· Ability to hear and interact by phone and in person clearly and efficiently
· Ability to use computer and all peripherals as needed to meet goals
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENTJob required tasks routinely involve a potential for mucous membrane or skin contact with blood, body fluids, tissues or potential spills or splashes. Use of appropriate personal protection measures is required for every healthcare provider in these positions. Exposure or potential exposure may be required as a condition of employment. Normal hazards associated with frequent business travel by car.